Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken Pasta
Prep time: 35 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (or chicken thighs if you prefer)
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise (get a BIG one)
- 12-15 artichoke hearts, cut in half (I used jarred artichokes that were in olive oil for more flavor)
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh basil
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-5 cups of spinach (optional)
- Preheat oven to 405 degrees (not 450, stop questioning me)
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until squash gives when you poke the outside of it.
- Use a spoon to remove the excess seeds then a fork to thread the strings from the squash. To make spaghetti, duh.
- But while the squash is baking, make the pesto and chicken.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat, add a splash of fat and 1 minced garlic clove. As soon as the garlic becomes fragrant, add the halved artichokes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let cook until slightly browned and tender on all sides.
- Once artichokes are browned, add them to a food processor along with the walnuts, olive oil, vegetable broth, and second garlic clove. Puree until smooth.
- Then add the parsley, basil, lemon, and salt and pepper. Puree once more until smooth. Taste and add more lemon and salt and pepper to your preference.
- Once pesto is done pureeing, add the chicken to the same pan that you sautéed the artichokes in.
- Cook chicken over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is cooked through, add in about ¼ of a cup of the pesto to the chicken along with the spinach, in the pan and mix well to coat. Cover and let cook for 2-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Then add the threads of spaghetti squash to the pan (or a large mixing bowl if you need more room). Mix spaghetti squash, pesto, and chicken all together.
- Serve with some fresh basil on top.
- Love pesto in a new way!